Monday, August 27, 2012

There is Gold in those hills!!

I have been looking for something that would add some activity to our camping adventures that we could all partake in. As I have shared I have not wanted this to be something that was virtual (since I am concerned about the ability of the young to relate to real people in real time)....so into the virtual I went  (the internet)..lol

I looked at many avenues that were available in our area..remember this is the woman who now owns a subscription to backpacking  magazine...(LOL Grandpa and I are 60...but Nick likes it..and we do it,.. and as it it turns out ..I love the prep for it...LOL even louder!!)..Each Grandson has such different interests..after all they are their own souls.......which I am so blessed to get to know!!!

As I was exploring the boys different interest for theses trips I found one thing in common..they took us to California's Gold country...what could we all learn and bond from this..and as I said  I went to the web..........

Our next trip is just south of Big Sur...creeks with gold and beaches with jade..now we have an activity!! I still hunted on the web and came across an organization called  Central Valley  Prospectors, and sent a email , do you have classes..do you provide information..do you have resources, or perhaps a mentor...not believing I would hear a thing!!

I was so very very wrong...the very next day I heard by phone from these wonderful people...it seems they had tried to email, but one of the letters of my email address had been lost to cyber space( can anyone identify with this?) ..so the call was made!

Yes we want to help you and your grandchildren...we have a person who is an expert in panning who will be 20 min. from you this Saturday and looking for you..do not worry He will have what to need to get started and ..just bring your water to drink...( in my cynical mind I am thinking...) are you for real!!

Yes these people are for real...and much more then that!  Bill Schoyer was the most and patient teacher we could of ever found..Nancy was was the most professional club leader, with follow- through there is..and the whole cub cares for what we are trying to do!

At our little spot on the River ..Kane was really welcome, and came back on Sunday greeted by name..Mike a new comer like us welcomed him by name...these are people who you do not find in the everyday world...but exceptional people who care....like the ones our country was built on,..  encourage the youth...no name calling...do not whine...have a sense of humor...what great rules to live by....it turns out these are the club rules ....Guess what Grandpa and I ...are joining

As Mom came to pick Kane up...his glitter flakes of gold were sent home with him to show his Brothers..I know from them no value will be placed on this..but I know for Kane this was the  week-end  that will never be lost!!!

Thank-You..C.V.P.

Grandma D.

If others of you are looking in Central Cali for a family activity...please google Central Valley Prospectors  and send them an email   ..they will not fail to help you!!! they have sure helped us!!1

1 comment:

  1. Oh how amazing! You're right in that we do not find a lot of people with such values in our society, anymore. They are out there... just not so easy to find ;-)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete