Thursday, August 16, 2012

It has been a year..some insights into Granparenthood

It has been a little over a year since we have lost Dave...and 6 completed camping trips since our decision to inject ourselves into our Grandchildren' s lives.  I have to say this has brought me some great insights and some humbling experiences..lol

I have had a philosophy since becoming a Grandparent, that has been especially  tested since March when we started this..

I feel that parenting and grand parenting is a lot like baking a birthday cake. Parents( Mom's especially but Dad's also must measure flour, sugar, etc....mix it just the right amount of time and then place into a carefully watched oven to bake until just the moment, when an adult who is ready to be a functioning part of society is pulled from this oven....A grand parent on the other hand is to mix all the sweet stuff together and slather it over the top!!!.

Children and birthday cakes need the sweet stuff to make being an adult and a cake complete!!!

On our last camping trip to Yosemite Grandpa and I found pure Magic in taking one child with a friend..the boys need a vacation from each other and we selfishly do not want to be remembered as referee's or dictators!!!

This trip was magic from finding swimming holes on the Merced river to watching  a meteor shower our last night in camp!

But on all these trips, the morning we break camp..something happens to the boys. They are tired..it is too much work..why to we have to do X?..I now wonder if  this is breaking the magic that has been created or
has  the baking powder been measured correctly..has the temperature in the oven been watched close enough...as a person who has baked..and blew it at times..it is hard not to ask..Heaven knows I made plenty of  mistakes baking my cakes!!!

But now the frosting belongs to Grandpa and I... and we plan on spreading it thick!!!!!!!!

On into the future.. with more camping trips....more insights..and the blessing of Family..and cakes and frosting..

Grandma D

P.S. to anyone who made comments on any posts that I have made in the past and then revised or deleted..I cherish your comments and have kept them in my personal files..but my husband has asked me to keep anything that is said in this blog very positive since the boys will have this as a dairy after we have joined Dave

You are all special to me, and I have used your words of wisdom..Thank you!.




No comments:

Post a Comment